[78-L] GUM SHOE CANOE

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Feb 20 17:56:15 PST 2009

Bud Black wrote:
> IIRC this tune was also recorded by Beatrice Kay on an album whose title
> escapes me at the moment.
>
> Bud

I don't see it in any of her three Columbia albums on 78, and my copy of
her late 50s/early 60s album on a small LP label is not on the shelf
where it should be.

This album has a rather interesting and confusing career.  It came out
as two separate Warner Bros albums but the first one also exists as an
RCA Victor LP.  I have a feeling that the Victor was a RCA Record Club
issue just like the Mary Poppins soundtrack which the club sold with RCA
Victor labels and jacket logos instead of Buena Vista.  Likewise, I
think that this two disc version might be a Columbia record club issue.
Those "etching" numbers are Columbia.  WB used both Columbia and Victor
pressing plants in those days, so that is not surefire evidence that it
is a record club issue, but look around it when you get it for "CRC" on
labels or jacket.  I think I do have a copy of this set -- I KNOW I have
both WB singles and the Victor, but don't want to spend time looking for
them unless I need to!

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com