[78-L] Do a-bay dealers usually follow your packing instructions?

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. bratcher at pdq.net
Fri Feb 20 17:45:06 PST 2009

At 05:09 PM 2/20/2009, you wrote:
>Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:
> > For those of you who give safe packing instructions to sellers, are
> > they followed in your experience or ignored?
>
>With a couple of exceptions (like one seller in Nevada to whom I
>sent a box and
>cardboards, and from whom I received badly broken records in her own packing)
>they follow the instructions.

Some have followed my packing instructions while others didn't. About
90% of my Ebay bought 78's arrive intact thankfully & yes I've been
disappointed by poor shipping & broken/chipped records from time to
time. When that happens I don't buy from that seller again. He or she
has lost my business forever.

> > What about those that don't give instructions, how do your a-bay 78's
> > usually arrive packed?
>
>Why do you think I stopped buying on eBay?

I still buy all speeds of records off Ebay.

>Incidentally, overpacking is just as bad as underpacking. I've had
>sellers put
>all sorts of things between album sleeves, thinking they were adding more
>protection when instead they were dooming the discs.

I've had that too.

>I'm all in favor of leaving discs IN an album and securing the sleeves within
>the covers..the discs have spent the last 60 years in those albums and are
>often warped or dished in a specific shape, and removing them and
>packing them
>tightly like a hockey puck can be more damaging than shipping them
>as they were.

I agree 100%!!