[78-L] Raised lettering beneath Columbia label: A2670

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Feb 10 22:16:32 PST 2009

Mark Hendrix 78L wrote:

> Having taken a look at your scans, I'm pretty sure that what you are seeing
> is not "75c" but rather "758." --Mark Hendrix
>

>> On Behalf Of Stephen Davies
>>

>>         Thanks again, in advance, for helping a novice with his questions.
>>
>>         My Columbia Grafonola A2670 has Hugh Donovan singing "The rose of
>> no man's land" (Mx 78148) on one side with "75c" in raised letters under
>> the paper label.  The label, however, states "Price in U.S. 85c.
>> Price in
>> Canada 90c".  Hmmm.  Well, we'll set that issue aside.

Even if it did say 75c in raised letters under the label, that would
have nothing to do with price!!!  As you find more Columbia records you
will see the price changes, and sometimes even find records with
rectangular stickers changing the prices.

And by the way, over on the right side under the gold band are two
little letters LY.  That means these labels were printed December 1918.
A thru L are the months, and Z backwards thru V are 1917 thru 1921 with
the letter P also being used in 1921.  Nobody knows why they started or
ended this.  It is possible to find different date codes on the two
sides of one record, so we know from this that this is a label printing
date, not a record pressing date.
>>         My question is what are the numbers on the reverse side.  Henry
>> Burr sings "Over yonder where the lilies grow" (Mx 78152), and in a
>> combination of stamped and raised letters underneath the label,
>> it says "4
>> (space, space, space, space) - 661"  I think the last numeral is a "1",
>> but it's hard to tell because it looks like someone changed their mind
>> before correcting the number to be a "1".

Take 4 of a record that was very popular.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com