[78-L] Gershwin Memorial

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 9 10:15:38 PST 2009

There are always stacks of both of your sets at Academy Records store in NY,
David!  Both wonderful albums.

And a word in favor of the Michael Tilson Thomas RHAPSODY recording with the
piano roll - I have loved this performance since it was issued. It was the
premiere complete recording of Grofe's original jazz band orchestration.
Since Gershwin did the piano roll in isolation, he somewhat elongated and/or
rushed tempos, which wouldn't have been the case if he was recorded with an
orchestra, so the "new" orchestra had to race to keep up with him at various
points. This contributed to the breathless, scrappy quality of the
performance, which tickles me.

Dave
--------------

And I still have a few hundred copies left! $20 + shipping (which has gone
up
to $4, heartless bastards). I also have a few copies remaining of the
companion
2-disc set "Paul Whiteman's Gershwin", same low price if you act now.

http://www.aurec.com/gershwin_memorial.htm
http://www.aurec.com/gershwin.htm

A couple of old links, but they display the artwork and contents. I see
there's
a used copy of the Memorial Concert on Amazon for $69..lemme see how many
used
copies I got here..