[78-L] Gershwin Memorial, shameless plugeroonie..wuz Re: Fw: 33 rpm Vinyl question ^

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Feb 9 09:27:46 PST 2009

simmonssomer wrote:
> Incidentally there is that George Gershwin Memorial Concert that was
> broadcast on CBS September 8, 1937...... issued on CD by Open Vault Records
> and mastered by a certain David Lennick. Jose Iturbe played the "Rhapsody In
> Blue" on that occasion while simulataneously conducting it with who knows
> what. A fabulous CD with Gershwin compositions played by The Los Angeles
> Philharmonic orchestra at the Hollywood Bowl. Guest conductors were Otto
> Klemperer, Nat Shilkret ,and Victor Young. Also appearing were Al Jolson,
> Gladys Swarthout, Fred Astaire,Oscar Levant and Lily Pons, Nice day's work.
> Thank you David.
>
> Al Simmons

And I still have a few hundred copies left! $20 + shipping (which has gone up
to $4, heartless bastards). I also have a few copies remaining of the companion
2-disc set "Paul Whiteman's Gershwin", same low price if you act now.

http://www.aurec.com/gershwin_memorial.htm
http://www.aurec.com/gershwin.htm

A couple of old links, but they display the artwork and contents. I see there's
a used copy of the Memorial Concert on Amazon for $69..lemme see how many used
copies I got here..