[78-L] Canadian Victors

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Fri Jan 30 12:34:52 PST 2009

Victor's Canadian operation made excellent sounding records in the late 20s,
especially of dance bands (Windsor Hotel, Royal York Hotel Orchestra). And also
of that mysterious demonstration disc in 1925, the electrical version of "You
and I" backed with Jack Shilkret's acoustical version (19571), there being no
proof that it was an American recording.

dl

These recordings seem to suffer from mike overload, (particularly, surprisingly "Londonderry Air" which is the softest number they recorded).  A similar effect to the affliction which blights the D'Oyle Carte recording of "Yeoman of the Guard" where the choruses are unbearable.  I can only assume the engineers were not yet aware that mike signals can overload an input stage even though the meters will show that everything is fine.  According to the labels, the CNE recordings were made at a performance so it's not likely they had the chorus in the audience area of an auditorium.  Also there is no applause and while you can hear noisy ambience being cut off at the end of the pieces, there's no sign that applause was starting.  As I recall I think the Associated Glee Club recording of the same period had the beginnings of applause that was abruptly cut-off.

db