[78-L] The Ames Brothers were Jewish!?

davdieh at aol.com davdieh at aol.com
Thu Jan 29 11:14:48 PST 2009

 -----Original Message-----

I don't know about anyone else here, but I've always been under the impression

that the Ames Brothers were part Cherokee. Their inclusion in "And You Shall
Know Us By The Trail Of Our Vinyl" (which is wildly inaccurate on all sorts of
matters) led me to a Google search, and to a number of biographical notes like
this one:
http://www.singers.com/jazz/vintage/ames.html

It also says that they were known as the Amory Brothers at one time, which
would mean that the sides that turn up on various Oberstein labels as Amory and
Ames ARE by this group?

Discuss.

If they wanted to make records during the 2nd Petrillo ban, Oberstein was definitely the guy
to connect with. Don't know as I've ever actually played one of those discs, though.
David Diehl