[78-L] Digital TV - HOUSE DEAFEATS BILL on DELAY ^

Thomas Stern sternth at attglobal.net
Wed Jan 28 18:34:41 PST 2009

  for those of us in the US and not on cable usw,
which converter boxes has anyone been able to get, how good are they, what
kind
of antenna works well?
  Anyone have experience with "smart antennas"(and converters which work
with them)?
  Which converter boxes are people looking for and have NOT been able to
get?
  In NY and Boston area, there seem to be plenty of boxes available (Best
Buy, Radio Shack, Sears, KMart).
  I  got an INSIGNIA box (best buy brand, same as zenith iirc) which works
with ancient rabbit ears.  converted picture is visibly better than
broadcast analog, but
feel like a throwback to the 50's since one needs to adjust the rabbit ears
for some stations.
  I've read online writeups about other boxes which sound pretty good, such
as the dish network box which comes in two ids (dtvpal, tr40) but is the
same except the one sold in stores is $20 more expensive than the one they
sell online,
and RCA DTA800B1 which seems to be sold only by Wal-Mart West and Mid-West
stores.
  Thanks, Thomas.