[78-L] Scroll label

Harold Aherne leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 08:06:54 PST 2009

I'm quite certain that Will Rogers' 1923 Victor sides, originally on the blue batwing label,
were re-issued on scrolls in 1935. They've appeared on Ebay a few times that I can remember...they had normal labels, without "VE" and "Orthophonic Recording", which
no longer appeared on domestic Victors by that time anyway. [I mean VE printed on
the label of course, the diamond VE continued to appear in the runout area until at
least 1937.]

At least some of the 1923 Rogers sides were recorded in February, a few months before Victor adopted run-out grooves, so that might beg the question of whether Victor
dubbed them or pressed them directly.

-Harold