[78-L] Intro and a few questions

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 27 14:59:36 PST 2009

Hello all

I am new to this incarnation of 78-L, having been on some of the
previous versions. I run a little website called The Beatles and 78
RPM on http://www.cool78s.com

The website started out as a project to document the Beatles' Indian
and Filipino 78 RPM releases. Soon it grew to include Beatles'
releases from other countries.

As one might guess, while not all is known, it can tend to be a bit
static. So, I decided branch out and include what I call the 'Cool 78
of the Month'. It's essentially a look at late 78s -- not only from
the 50s, but some neat 78s from as late as the 1990s, as well as a
look at some things that you didn't realise made it out on 78, albeit
not necessarily in the USA (like Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass!).
I have been surprised on more than one occasion to get an email from
some of the artists featured saying 'I didn't know our record came
out on a 78!'

So, I come with a few questions.

a) What were the latest 78s on US Columbia, Dot, RCA, and Decca in
the USA and Canada? As is expected the last 78 on these would be
later in Canada than in the USA.

b) Didn't Warner Brothers (which didn't have any pre-1960s 78s in the
USA) have a promotional release on 78 as a film studio in the 1930s?

c) Did Decca 9-30135 - Bring My Cadillac Back by Baker Knight and the
Knightmares come out on 78 anywhere?

d) Does anyone know anything about an artist names Charlie Blackwell
who had a minor hit on Warner Brothers (#5031) called Midnight Oil.
It was backed with a tune called None of em Glow Like You. This made
it out on 78 in Canada, but 45 only in the USA.

Thanks in advance for any answers

Tony