[78-L] now Books

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 25 14:11:06 PST 2009

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> Wow...both of these sound like "must have" or at lest "must read" books.
> Who was the "Phil" who got socked by Al Philburn?  Was it the piano player?
> I seem to remember that Phil Wall(?) replaced Schutt in the Specht band.
>
> There is still that one copy of the Specht book for sale  on line
> (autographed) but I don't want to spend that much on it.  So I'll end up
> waiting and then the one will sell and I'll really be out of luck.
>
> In 1940,  my not-quite 18-year old Dad made a tour of one-nighters here in
> Washington State and Oregon with the Henry King band.  Even when I was a
> little kid I was fascinated with this and would ask him for stories...but it
> was a pretty calm tour,  with no fights,  nobody quitting or getting fired,
> just playing music night after night in  dance halls,  hotels and clubs
> around the Northwest.  My dad was not a regular member of the band,  but got
> the job through a friend in Local 76,  which my dad had just joined.
>
> Henry King is still one of my favorite bands,  but that's because I like the
> sound!

Earlier on that same page (15),

"When the eight week London engagement was over, the Paul Specht
Orchestra's proposed visit to Switzerland and Germany failed to
materialize, and the musicians had a brief holiday, staying in the
capitol for a few days before returning to New York from Southampton.
Hooley and Phil Wall decided to use those days as an opportunity to
renew their interest in flying, and made bookings to travel to Europe by
plane."
The rest of the page describes their escapade then ends with the
Hoolie's 3 night stint with Ruby Newman's band and the ensuing eastern
tour of Buffalo, New York, Albany Saratoga Springs, where the previously
described incident evidently took place.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.