[78-L] now Books

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sun Jan 25 13:01:46 PST 2009

Wow...both of these sound like "must have" or at lest "must read" books.
Who was the "Phil" who got socked by Al Philburn?  Was it the piano player?
I seem to remember that Phil Wall(?) replaced Schutt in the Specht band.

There is still that one copy of the Specht book for sale  on line
(autographed) but I don't want to spend that much on it.  So I'll end up
waiting and then the one will sell and I'll really be out of luck.

In 1940,  my not-quite 18-year old Dad made a tour of one-nighters here in
Washington State and Oregon with the Henry King band.  Even when I was a
little kid I was fascinated with this and would ask him for stories...but it
was a pretty calm tour,  with no fights,  nobody quitting or getting fired,
just playing music night after night in  dance halls,  hotels and clubs
around the Northwest.  My dad was not a regular member of the band,  but got
the job through a friend in Local 76,  which my dad had just joined.

Henry King is still one of my favorite bands,  but that's because I like the
sound!

Taylor