[78-L] Gay?

Steve Thornton fnarf at comcast.net
Sun Jan 25 12:49:19 PST 2009

Your apprehension of Wikipedia is mistaken. For one thing, prejudicial edits
are almost invariably reverted almost immediately (Wikipedia has a much
lower error rate than, say, Britannica), and for another, every statement
entered into Wikipedia must be attributed. The devotion to full attribution
has gotten very powerful in the past few years; perhaps it's been a while
since you've looked?

Anyways, the attribution for the Wikipedia claims includes this:
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=gay which says, in part:

"OED gives 1951 as earliest date for slang meaning "homosexual" (adj.), but
this is certainly too late; gey cat "homosexual boy" is attested in N.
Erskine's 1933 dictionary of "Underworld & Prison Slang;" the term gey cat
(gey is a Scot. variant of gay) was used as far back as 1893 in Amer.Eng.
for "young hobo," one who is new on the road and usually in the company of
an older tramp, with catamite connotations. But Josiah Flynt ["Tramping With
Tramps," 1905] defines gay cat as, "An amateur tramp who works when his
begging courage fails him." Gey cats also were said to be tramps who offered
sexual services to women. The "Dictionary of American Slang" reports that
gay (adj.) was used by homosexuals, among themselves, in this sense since at
least 1920. Rawson ["Wicked Words"] notes a male prostitute using gay in
reference to male homosexuals (but also to female prostitutes) in London's
notorious Cleveland Street Scandal of 1889. Ayto ["20th Century Words"]
calls attention to the ambiguous use of the word in the 1868 song "The Gay
Young Clerk in the Dry Goods Store," by U.S. female impersonator Will S.
Hays. The word gay in the 1890s had an overall tinge of promiscuity -- a gay
house was a brothel. The suggestion of immorality in the word can be traced
back to 1637."