[78-L] What the &@#$ is going on? ^

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jan 25 05:11:44 PST 2009

yves francois wrote:
>    ...just listen to "Running a Temperature" Jimmie Lunceford 1936 (vox/arr: Sy Oliver), and it will take care of the rest. I happen to love that record, probably the first album I bought in Chicago when I was 12 had that song as the first track on side one (an old Decca album "For Dancers' Only" still have it, after all these years), and I really like Earl Carruthers baritone sax on that one (and Oliver's plunger trumpet is rather like his work on the Mezzrow session from 1937)
> and a good morning to the music world
> Yves Francois
Sorry Yves, I don't hear much merit in this performance. It sounds very
much a general purpose effort. The tune's not much and do I detect some
out-of-tunedness in the ensemble after the vocal? The only bit that
caught my attention was the Hal Kemp-like clarinet ensemble before the
vocal. And it doesn't swing!

      Julian Vein