[78-L] Harvesting the Coral label

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 24 21:22:42 PST 2009

Coral also was set up to operate like an "indie" so Decca could get a piece of
the action that Mercury, MGM, National and other new labels were grabbing, and
initially wasn't distributed by Decca though it was pressed by them. In Canada,
Coral wasn't even pressed by Compo for the first year or so but was done by
Musicana, and had white labels with brown print for the popular records and
white labels with green print for the "Brunswick Series"..all the surviving
80000s went over to Musicana for a while, then everything went back to Compo
when either Musicana folded or Decca US purchased Compo in 1950. One thing we
never had in Canada was an orange Coral label..it was dark brown once Compo
began pressing it and stayed that color till the black/rainbow style came in.

dl