[78-L] using threads, and a question about Hit of The Weeks, was: Noise

buster busterdog at mac.com
Sat Jan 24 18:13:52 PST 2009

a number of email clients, the Mac's "Mail" application included, have
the capability to organize by email "thread."  using this feature, one
can organize a whole string of related emails into a single nested
line item.  it's been so nice to be able to see all the recent chaff
organized in such a way, and be able to dump it so quickly and easily.

last time i was on here, in the early 90s, it got the same way every
so often (as do ALL newsgroups)...and i vaguely remember one
especially nasty and long-lived battle (the nauck and his god and
texas were at the center of that one) was the reason i left then.  but
this time i have threads to help me through it, so it'll be easier to
stay.

here's a few helpful pointers for the folks who want to keep going at
it but need to move on to the next level:

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Flame_wars

(note especially the extremely useful and effective "Fifty Zwarg Post.")

anybody remember that article from a lot of years ago in the MAPS
journal, categorizing the many types of collectors?  we all know that
as a group we often tend to be cranky and opinionated and, uh, "fussy"
- to varying degrees - and to avoid the cr at p that must therefore come
with that, we must keep on the single topic that brings us together in
the first place.  so...

anybody have a good recommendation on how to play Hit of The Weeks (or
is it Hits of the Week?) safely and reliably?  my best fix so far is
to lay them on top of a junk diamond disc on the platter, then clamp a
binder clip to the spindle to tightly hold down the center of the
HOTW.  some folks just staple two of them back to back, but that seems
a little destructive.  ideas?