[78-L] Aren't we getting really really OT? (Was: One person's opinions...?!^)

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Sat Jan 24 16:23:24 PST 2009

At 07:18 PM 1/24/2009, you wrote:
>So a nation like France can have a colony as they did in Indochina
>without occupying it? Tell that to the guys at Dienbienphu.
>
>At the time of the American Revolution, the U.S. was occupied by
>colonists, many of whom were loyal to the British crown and who
>considered themselves Englishmen. However, the Brits insisted on
>shooting themselves in the foot over and over again and we know where that led.

Umm, I love to talk politics, but I was under the impression that
this is where we discuss 78s, collecting, technological change, media
history, and pop culture.  At the risk of being a curmudgeon, don't
these sorts of nationalistic"my country is better than your country"
debates only lead people to get angry and leave the list?  I'd hate
to see that happen.