[78-L] Self-recording

yves francois aprestitine at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 24 13:38:04 PST 2009

   Julian
     You record the sound check before the concert and hear it to see if it is not distorting or too soft (and if you are smart you put the mike away from the band about 2 to 3 meters and closest to the softest instrument). Very common for musicians to record themselves on a gig (Franz Jackson used to record his band and issued 2 albums from these reel to reel tapes, later he purchased from me a small stereo cassette machine I in the early 80's for a while). I have a dub of a tape of Paul Bascomb's band live in circa 1955/6 (should be the year when Betty Carter recorded "Frenesi" for Columbia, the band is playing the same arrangement behind her), couple good blues,and a really stagy but nice, "Taboo", but too bad it was recorded next to Marshall Thompson's kit, it's mostly drums, and almost no vocals or announcing from the pa of the lounge (but it was made by him for him to work on the material better), BTY the band is less jazz oriented than on the
 United and Parrot 78's I must be sorry to report (too bad, Roxelle Claxton, John Avant, Malachi Favors and Sonny Cohn were all members of Paul's band on this tape).

Yves Francois