[78-L] Identity/Rhyming Slang.

Spats spats47 at ntlworld.com
Sat Jan 24 11:24:09 PST 2009

Ginger would be rhyming slang for ginger beer.
For a start, it doesn't rhyme.
If I were making something up to be rhyming slang for ginger beer...
It would be something like 'cauliflower ear'.

No 'Ginger' has always meant a redhead and for some unknown reason,
Gingers have always seemed to have been the butt of jokes.

Somewhere, (to bring this back on topic), I have a pre-1910 78 of a
music hall song called 'Ginger, You're Barmy!'

In the UK, there are lots of kids who have gone through a sort of
'Who am I?' crisis. Am I Black? Am I British?...less so now than used
to be, however, because mixed race children are becoming so common
now, that they no longer stand out...

In a way, I feel the same, though it's not a problem.
I always refer to myself as British but, though I'd support England
in a football or cricket match, I'm vaguely uncomfortable calling
myself English.

Earl.