[78-L] Ebay feed back being held as hostage by sellers!!

Tom nice_guy_with_an_mba at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 24 10:22:40 PST 2009

Buck,

I've been buying stuff on ebay off and on for a period of about five or six years. Occasionally, I've also sold some stuff on ebay as well.

Ebay has recently changed its policies with regard to sellers leaving feedback for buyers and they no longer allow sellers to leave negative feedback. Sellers can still leave positive feedback.

Buyers, on the other hand, can still leave positive or negative feedback or, for that matter, neutral feedback.

It goes without saying that if you leave negative feedback for a seller, he's not going to leave positive feedback for you. In the period of time I've been buying stuff on ebay I've only left negative feedback for sellers twice.

In one case it went to arbitration and the seller ended up paying about $200.00 for the item I'd bought (an end table) to be repaired, which was fine.

In the other case, nothing happened after I'd left negative feedback for the seller.

My suggestion is that if you're not satisfied with the way the purchase transaction has gone, then email the seller, tell him your concerns and see how the seller responds. Either the seller will be cooperative in making the transaction right or not. Most sellers will offer a refund on the sale if you're not satisfied. That still leaves you with having to pay return postage on the sale, unless the seller offers to pay for that as part of the informal settlement.

The point is, these things can be negotiated back and forth. It's not like buying something from Amazon, where all of the terms of the return policy are etched in stone.

And if you're not satisfied with the transaction after you've done everything to see that you've been treated fairly, by all means, leave negative feedback for the seller.

Tom