[78-L] Charles Correll WAS RE: Stephen Foster

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 24 07:47:44 PST 2009

The interview was a couple of years after Calvin And The Colonel, I'm pretty
sure, but it was still what we'd today call "damage control". And since he said
it in Canada and Amos 'n' Andy hadn't been running on Canadian stations for
years, who was going to argue with him? Incidentally, I'd love to see Calvin
again..I thought it was hilarious at the time. Beatrice Kay was one of the
voices as well. Interesting, since I think she was blacklisted. Oh oh, is
"blacklisted" an offensive word? I meant African-American listed.

Now, how about slinging some of this mud towards Bing Crosby, Johnny Mercer,
John Charles Thomas, Nelson "Short'nin' Bread" Eddy, James Melton (his version
of Short'nin' Bread is even more offensive) and company? (Yeah, Mercer was
raised by a southern mammy and it was really only the Jews he railed against
when he got hammered.)

dl