[78-L] Charles Correll WAS RE: Stephen Foster

Elizabeth McLeod lizmcl at midcoast.com
Sat Jan 24 05:16:12 PST 2009

This interview likely comes from the era when Correll and Gosden were
trying to keep their careers alive with "Calvin and the Colonel," a sort
of post-racial Amos 'n' Andy in animated cartoon form, in which the
characters were presented as a Southern fox and bear. Their speech was
similar, but not identical to that of Amos 'n' Andy. During this period,
when race was becoming an extremely hot-button issue in television,
making such a statement would have been seen as necessarily diplomatic,
even though it was quite inaccurate.

During the actual run of "Amos 'n' Andy," there was never any question
that the characters were supposed to be black -- they occasionally
referred to themselves as "colored," and there were even scenes in the
early years of the radio series that obliquely acknowledged the existence
of segregation -- even the de-facto sort which prevailed in the North.

All of this examined in detail in my book.

Elizabeth