[78-L] ^^An apology to hopefully end the N-word discussion

Chris Zwarg doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de
Thu Jan 22 08:55:59 PST 2009

At 17:24 22.01.2009, you wrote:
>For what it's worth, or not...
>
>I actually missed the original post. I also missed the hasty departure
>of DrJazz.  I started reading the thread when it was apparent that
>fireballs were being thrown every which way.  People forget that these
>things erupt on 78-L from time to time.
>
>Before people start huffily and hastily leaving 78-L because of one
>person's unfortunate choice of vocabulary, I would suggest that people
>consider that perhaps Chris Zwarg was not fully aware of the
>repercussions, connotations, and general social anathema of that word in
>today's American society.

No I indeed wasn't aware of that, and I am very sorry for this state of affairs (the current US society I mean, not my being unaware of it). My forbears were taught, and I think for the most part willingly learned, so immensely much about democracy and freedom from your country - "the land of the free and the home of the brave", indeed. And now, sixty years later, all that should be history? Sorry but I still cannot fully grasp how a mere five or six letters could have raised such a thunderstorm as happened here in the past 24 hours (although I have learned my lesson and will not push my luck in that direction in future!). Among "free" and "brave" people a simple "sorry but you should not say this or that anymore today" would have been enough, wouldn't it - especially as I was not calling anyone *actually on the list* by that unfortunate epithet. It was a new, and deeply disturbing, experience to me; the last occasions I heard of similar incidents were in the former GDR an