[78-L] ^^An apology to hopefully end the N-word discussion

Chris Zwarg doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de
Thu Jan 22 09:11:58 PST 2009

>I mean, hell...my fellow Americans, how many of you have annoying
>acquaintances who still tell "Polack" jokes? My guess is that these are
>told in ignorance of how they would be perceived by Poles living in
>Europe, much less Americans of Polish descent.

If these people have any sense of humour they'd laugh about them if the jokes are any good - at least that's how it is and always has been over here: It's the Turkish and Polish immigrants that usually crack the most outrageous jokes about their own groups (and yes, we also have the usual hypocrites that try to ban comedians caricaturing immigrants and their habits for reasons of "decency" and "protecting minorities", even if - as they mostly are - these comedians are immigrants themselves). Viennese-Jewish satirist Georg Kreisler recounts an incident of being asked by a reporter if he didn't feel ashamed to tell jokes about Jews in Yiddish dialect after what happened in the Third Reich. Different protagonists, but always the same story, I guess, if you think of Bert Williams writing and singing "coon songs" which nowadays are considered "offensive" because racist...

Chris Zwarg