[78-L] Racial Stereotyping.

Spats spats47 at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 23 17:04:35 PST 2009

Hi!

Are you sure that American art forms were ALWAYS INTENDING to depict
Black Americans in a demeaning way? Was it any different from the
stereotyping of Jews, Swedes, Germans...whatever, in songs of the day?

Yes, it WAS a racial society back then, but we must always be careful
not to see things through OUR eyes. Some of these songs, though
painting stereotypes, could be quite affectionate.

Again, that said, the songs written BY black performers were almost
always superior, because they really understood who they were...

Blacks in return also stereotyped whites, of-course. Let's not forget that.
Is that not how the Cake Walk came to be invented?

Earl.