[78-L] Sheet Music pictures [was Race observations]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 23 14:22:48 PST 2009

Sam Brylawski wrote:
> Years ago Edward Eliscu appeared at a popular music studies conference. I
> asked him whether Billy Rose made any significant contribution to their
> so-called collaborations with Vincent Youmans. He surprised us by stating
> that Rose was a full collaborator.
>
> Moving away from 78s a bit, here's something that I've wondered about. Who
> paid whom to appear on sheet music covers? I thought that perhaps it might
> have gone both ways. The publishers paid stars like Jolson when they put him
> on a cover. But maybe unknown wannabe's paid publishers to be featured.
> Anyone know? Hope that this isn't too OT.
>
> Sam
I have a number of pieces of sheet music which feature pictures of
Scrappy Lambert and Dick Robertson, neither of whom recorded any of the
songs. I should think they were sufficiently well known not to pay
publishers for publicity. They, and others, seemed to virtually "enjoy"
a 9-5 existence.

      Julian Vein