[78-L] Race observations

Tom nice_guy_with_an_mba at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 09:07:09 PST 2009

What is it, exactly, about American art forms that depict African-Americans in the most demeaning, pejorative, and degrading light that you guys find redeeming and worthwhile?

I'd really like to know.

You guys are big fans of Al Jolson (and now, it seems, his source of inspriation, if you want to call it that, Stephen Foster) who made a career of sorts, by depicting African-Americans as wide-eyed, lustful, disorganized, ignorant and inferior to whites.

Is there supposed to be something ennobling artistically in those sorts of stereotypes? If so, would you mind expanding on what it is?

What about Buckwheat and Amos-'n-Andy? You guys overlooked them.

And the use of the word "nigger" to refer to people of African American descent was always derogatory, offensive and racist and still is irrespective of whether it appeared in Broadway shows, in movies, on the stage, in audio recordings or elsewhere. It was never quaint or affectionate, much less "endearing".

And by the way, no one performs Stephen Foster or Al Jolson songs any more and for good reason.