[78-L] Race observations

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jan 22 22:04:21 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "DAVID BURNHAM" <burnhamd at rogers.com>
> I found this letter a very interesting perspective.
> I was curious, however, about the "N word" being worse than the "Seven
> words". I was also born in 1942 and when I was growing up I didn't even
> know the "Seven words" but when we recited "Eenie meenie minie moe", we
> never caught a tiger by the toe, I'd never even heard that version until I
> heard my daughter reciting it. In the generation before ours, (Steven's
> and mine), the n-word seemed to be acceptable even in polite company. It
> occurs twice in the 1936 recording of "Mikado", famously in "Showboat",
> many times in the Shilkret album of Stephen Foster and, of course, in
> countless "coon song" records. To my knowledge, in none of these cases is
> the term used derogatorily, in fact in some cases it's used
> affectionately. You might say that because I'm not Afro-American myself,
> that I have no right to express an opinion on how offensive this might be
> and I would offer no argument to that observation. I can never experience
> the life of a black in a  white community but I have found myself amongst
> entirely black groups of friends and had them calling me names that are
> the counter-parts of the n-word in that community but we were fooling
> around and no offense on either part was intended or felt.
>
> I can foresee the day when the term "gay" is going to be unacceptable.
>
> I know there are many Jewish posters on this list and while the word "Jew"
> is probably how they would refer to themselves, I'm sure they've all heard
> that word used in an offensive context. Sometimes I believe there is too
> much emphasis put on a word and too little on the genuine feelings between
> groups in society. A couple of decades ago, the term "frog" was introduced
> as an derogatory term for Quebecers but instead of being offended by it,
> they ran with it, introducing terms such as "frog power" and it lost it's
> impact. Back in the late 50s and early 60s the term "dummie" was
> considered politically incorrect, (although that description wasn't in use
> yet), but today the term has been cleared, probably because the term can
> no longer be used to refer to someone who is mute so it now only has one
> meaning, (political correctness for dummies). You still often see plumbing
> connections which are called "Siamese connections", okay perhaps because
> there
> is no longer a country by that name. Are we still using the term "Dutch
> treat" or "going Dutch"? That word itself is offensive to some
> Nederlanders while others say that's what they are. I don't know what
> "Indian giver" has been replaced by.
> Anyway, that's my $.02 worth!

Point being that the unacceptability of "N****r" in my post...and in my
growing up...
was strictly a PERSONAL experience!! This was NOT standard among those
of my age demographic...it was just the way *I* was told to behave...!!

Sadly, the human race is divided into easily identifiable groups...almost
ALL of
whom cordially hate one another!

...stevenc