[78-L] Jack Denny in Montreal

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jan 22 20:54:26 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harold Aherne" <leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com>
> Jack Denny's orchestra made eight recordings in Montreal in February 1932
> that Victor issued on 22906, 22907, 22916 and 22917--below the border at
> least.
> I'm curious as to whether these sides were also issued in Canada under
> those
> numbers or if they were released in HMV's series devoted to Canadian
> material
> (I don't recall the numbering sequence at the moment). How often were
> Montreal-
> recorded sides issued in Victor's regular series?
>
> Denny recorded in both Montreal and New York during his tenure at
> Brunswick
> (1926-1931). I believe I've read that he was Canadian-born, although I
> can't cite
> anything too definite at the moment.

No...they WEREN'T on the 2165## series...which is what you were thinking
of...! Denny's Brunswick sides were cut in their Plattsburgh, NY (just
across
the river) studios...as were a few other Canuck artists Brunswick wanted
to issue. AFAIK, Brunswick NEVER had Canadian recording facilities...
even pre-1920 when their records credited "Canada" (and were apparently
recorded in NYC...?!).

...stevenc