[78-L] Jack Denny ~Joseph C Smith

Dnjchi at aol.com Dnjchi at aol.com
Thu Jan 22 13:26:29 PST 2009

In a message dated 1/22/2009 4:07:12 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
leotolstoy_75 at yahoo.com writes:

This  could be the clip whereof you speak, a 1933 Vitaphone short  subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIYPNoJKbNE

His  orchestra does sometimes border on salon music, and the lack of brass
in  the 1932-33 band is rather atypical. But I enjoy the soft, even pensive
tones  of
Denny's unit, particularly in "Goodnight My Love" from 13 Apr. 1932 (Vic
22983).

As I recall, Rudy Vallee had no brass for a long time in the early  days.
His pianist, Sammy Diehl, lived in Erie (PA) where I was working at  the time,
but I didn't know it--and he died before I had a chance to meet  him.

Don Chichester
**************Inauguration '09:  Get complete coverage from the nation's
capital. (http://news.aol.com/main/politics/inauguration?ncid=emlcntusnews00000003)