[78-L] Jack Denny ~Joseph C Smith

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Thu Jan 22 12:48:26 PST 2009

Two questions.

I love sweet bands and can listen for hours to stuff which would make a  lot
of jazz or swing fans scream in agony or from boredom (Orville Knapp,
George Hamilton, Paul Pendarvis, etc.).  But I just can't get into Jack
Denny...the records I've played just sound so damn dead.  I have a video
someplace of him and the band with Paul Small singing and it's just
horrible...Denny reminds me of some sort of Halloween vampire or something.

Does anyone have a fave or two by Denny which they could mention so I can
give him another chance?

Also...who knows anyting about those last records in Rust by Joseph C
Smith,  which were made in Canada?  I've never seen them but I kind of like
some of his earlier American sides...maybe a little too polite for some
tastes.

Taylor B