[78-L] The 290 discs you can't play on radio [wuz Quoting Ginger Rogers...]

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 22 09:25:49 PST 2009

Jack Jackson, British bandleader and BBC deejay, recounted in his book "Record
Round-Up" how "John and Marsha" was played exactly one and a half times before
being banned outright.

Stranger in Paradise?!

The CBC could be just as arbitrary in the 40s and 50s. From personal experience
in finding the records marked, and from accounts of those who were there:

It's a Woman's Prerogative..Pearl Bailey
Get Up Those Stairs Mademoiselle..Tony Pastor
Summer Moon..all versions, because some moron thought Stravinsky was being
ripped off despite his name on the label
George Formby..just about everything except Our Sergeant Major
Guys and Dolls (title song)
Beer Barrel Polka..you could play it, you just couldn't say it
	("Barrel Polka" was okay)

dl