[78-L] Jack Denny in Montreal

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 21 21:47:57 PST 2009

Harold Aherne wrote:
> Jack Denny's orchestra made eight recordings in Montreal in February 1932
> that Victor issued on 22906, 22907, 22916 and 22917--below the border at least.
> I'm curious as to whether these sides were also issued in Canada under those
> numbers or if they were released in HMV's series devoted to Canadian material
> (I don't recall the numbering sequence at the moment). How often were Montreal-
> recorded sides issued in Victor's regular series?

A few Mart Kenney 216xxx sides were issued in the States, but on Bluebird. Jack
Denny is listed in "Roll Back the Years" with the US numbers, but oddly enough,
22916 ISN'T listed! Other Canadian recordings issued in the US were some of the
sides by Charles Dornberger, Max Boag's "Skaters Band" (a truly awful amateur
group from Newmarket, Ontario which filled a need at the time..two-dollar
purple label in Canada, black and even BLUE label in the US), a couple of discs
by The Happy Gang (whose CBC program was carried Stateside by Mutual), Dick
Todd's first two sides, and of course the two Nova Scotia cowboys, Wilf Carter
and Hank Snow. Aside from Denny, Kenny and Chuck and Max (sounds like a quartet
of butchers), the other artists recorded for the Bluebird label up here.

> Denny recorded in both Montreal and New York during his tenure at Brunswick
> (1926-1931). I believe I've read that he was Canadian-born, although I can't cite
> anything too definite at the moment.
>
> -Harold

Dunno..Kinkle seems to think "probably Canadian" as well but Jack Litchfield
says he's American, and also notes that the band recorded for Brunswick in
Plattsburgh NY (Ross Laird lists Plattsburgh and Montreal for a number of
Denny's sessions).