[78-L] Pathetic (re: Doug's letter to us) Yves' 2 cents lets get back on topic, PLEASE!!

yves francois aprestitine at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 19:34:44 PST 2009

ladies and gentlemen (and Doug i am also sending this to you, even if i do not really know you but respect you and your terrific work very much, i hope you do not mind), and Ron I hope you do not mind but I had to make a comment here
   ... we have gotten out of hand. this discussion board is about MUSIC, not politics. Yes I was very offended by a certain racist comment or two, but did we have to get so into the 21st century political events (I thought we decided to stay away from that after 2003, I have been quiet about politics here since then). I do not want to see Doug go ,he is one of the best people in the business (literally in the level of Davies, Lennick, G Newton  et all), do people on 78L  really care more about making racial polemics or 2008 US elections than music? Indeed, Doug might find happier jazz grounds in red hot jazz, where the rules are tighter about OT. I wanted to write tonight about a fine CD that David Lennick and Graham Newton both of whom did a terrific job on (Jack Teagarden 1930 Whiz radio programs with Pollack's band), and instead I found literally dozens of comments about 2009 politics.
    ... just my two cents, and , no, I do not think the n* is appropriate (and would like to see an apology*), but I also think talking about contemporary events AND non musical and/or non 78 oriented matters should be done in a separate list (78P anyone LOL ?, after all do you really want to see me quote Jean Paul Sartre here?)
   many of you are like a virtual family to me, this is the list where I learned so much in so many ways, can we all agree to this and invite Doug and other people who may also be offended BECAUSE we are NOT talking about music back to this list. I must also note that I would terribly miss taking about Babe Russin, Frankie Newton, Sam Wooding, Gene Sedric (who played much better on on fats Waller records IMHO, what do you think?) and so many other greats on this list, people like Al, Julian, Rainer, Andrea, Luis and so many others have meant so much to me, learning about music and life
all the best
Yves Fernand Francois Smierciak

* BTW the writer of this note would be classified as Caucasian, his father was a slave in occupied Europe 1941/5), if you need to know my fathers parentage he was Polish, Slovak, Serbian and Jewish, my father did not believe in race, the n* word was not acceptable in the house, as were words against any ethnicity (I think it is obvious re my mother LOL)