[78-L] The ultimate turntable

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. bratcher at pdq.net
Wed Jan 21 09:00:34 PST 2009

At 08:59 PM 1/19/2009, you wrote:
>In my own case...a couple more items to add to my vast list of:
>"Things that I not only DON'T WANT...but don't even WANT
>to WANT!!"
>
>In actuality, I AM looking for a turntable...my "wants" are easier
>to express (and much more affordable, IF I can find one...!). I
>am looking for a "record player" which uses the Astatic N8
>ceramic cartridge...I already have a NOS N8-3d needle, but
>the record player I was planning to put it in was knocked off the
>table by Ecru the cat, and the speed selector was seriously
>wounded as a result...!
>
>The N8 uses separate needles for 78 and microgroove discs,
>so the cartridge (NOT the needle) turns over...! These were
>used, among other machines, in many RCA Victor players
>of the sixties and seventies...!
>
>So, if anyone out there in Radio-Land runs across such a machine,
>PLEASE let me know...!
>
>...stevenc

I hope you find your record player one day. BTW, Astatic also made an
83-d cartridge with 2 LP needles that were built into the cartridge
and could not be removed. This was used in the library of congress
talking book machine record player. When both needles wore out you
just put in a new cartridge.