[78-L] Dating Vocalion Opera Record

Chris Zwarg doctordisc at truesoundtransfers.de
Mon Jan 19 11:15:55 PST 2009

At 19:48 19.01.2009, you wrote:
>ps - 52009 may also be a Hill & Dale recording.  I haven't ever played it, nor have
>I seen it for a while, so cannot verify.  All I have is the listing in our home
>database.    Which brings up a question:   Did A/V dub their vertical records to
>lateral, when they switched methods?  Or did they make entirely new recordings ?

All acoustic Vocalions are direct recordings, not dubs, the laterals as well as the verticals. The verticals have much finer grooves and play about one-third longer than the laterals, so it would have been less than practical to attempt and dub them - not to mention the lower volume and higher noise level of these fine-grooved verticals also conspiring against a successful dubbing process.

52009 / 70015 BTW is a lateral recording, dating from late 1921 (matrix should be 8111, but is often illegible on pressings of this vintage).

Chris Zwarg