[78-L] Irving Kaufman Party Record???

Mark Hendrix 78L gennett5276 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 17 17:42:42 PST 2009

Yes, Sterling recorded the first Hank Williams sides and (I think) the last
Irving Kaufman sides (on 78 rpm, at least).  They were a typical postwar
"mongrel" independent that would record any type of music they thought would
sell.  I believe Sterling was related to the Juke Box label, and Art Rupe,
later of Specialty, was involved.

For what it's worth, as a someone who's mostly built his collection from
discs found in California thrift shops, I've turned up Sterling twice, and
Juke Box maybe four times, in 24 years of active collecting.

--Mark Hendrix