[78-L] a Herwin puzzler

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jan 17 17:22:31 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Malcolm Rockwell" <malcolm at 78data.com>
>I just came across an oddity. In my ongoing Gennett research I have
> label copies of Herwin 75555, both sides by Ernest Hare and both sides
> evidently produced by Paramount. They are: -A side = Lindbergh (The
> Eagle Of The U.S.A.); -B side = Lucky Lindy. The -A side also appears in
> the Gennett ledgers, with the same issue numbers, but as by Vernon
> Dalhart! The -B side pictured does not appear in the ledgers anywhere.
> Listmember Jack Palmer notes that these two different recordings were
> indeed released on Herwin 75555.
> Can a Dalhart issue for Herwin 75555-A be confirmed? And what's on the
> -B side?

Remember that back in them days, tunes appeared on as many labels as
thought they could sell tunes thereof...and there were a fair number of
artists (Dalhart, Henry Burr, Jones & Hare [separately or together], usw.)
who cheerfully recorded for every label they could!!

Virtually EVERY label of 1927 issued the above Lindbergh-related tunes;
the public wanted ANYTHING related to "Lindy!!" It is quite possible
that the Herwin folks grabbed any version they could; why they might
have later used different versions is AFAIK unknown...?!

...stevenc