[78-L] Original Sound of the 20s~Frances Williams

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Jan 16 00:00:03 PST 2009

It was a life-changer for me.  Although I'd already started to buy odds and
ends of 78s The Original Sounds of the 20s opened up my eyes to all sorts of
stuff which seemed very exotic at the time.  At age 12 I was able to buy the
damn thing and even had enough extra dough to pick up The Bix Beiderbecke
Legend for $2.79 at the same place (record department of the long-gone
Frederick & Nelson department store here in Seattle).

The one track on the whole set which bugged me the most was the unissued
Willard Robison of I've Got A Feelin' I'm Falling.  Then and now I thought
it was one of the best records ever made and I was sad that I could never
get a 78 of it.

But finally I did...one of those English "test pressing"  things on white
plastic which came out in the 70s or 80s.  I forget who made them or
why....but it plays beautifully.

The other mysterious track on the set is the Frances Williams w/ piano of
Sunny Disposish.  Clearly (to me) it was recorded later than the 20s...does
anyone have any details about that track?

Taylor B