[78-L] Original Sound of the 20s

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jan 15 22:42:26 PST 2009

David Weiner wrote:
> This must be a habit in the record biz.

Notice that both examples are from the same company, so it might not be
the total record biz.  There was a threat of a lawsuit when BMG tried to
eliminate the entire Bluebird label when they were still in the middle
of several "complete" series, perhaps Fats Waller and a couple of
others.  BMG had to back down and issue THOSE albums, and THEN dump
Bluebird.

The Epic sets Dave mentions ARE the replacements for Orig Sound of 30s.
Got that info straight from Larry Carr at the time.  You get six discs
instead of three, plus the second 2-disc Bing set.  This was at the
point when Columbia wanted to switch the reissues from Columbia to
Epic.  They had done Dick Powell, Alice Faye, and Bing in Hywd on
Columbia and then did the others on Epic.  It was later on that they got
back to finishing the Bings, doing them on three separate Columbia
albums.  Remember that essay on the innersleeves about Bing stiffing
Brooks for an interview?  And those great label photos on the sleeves?
Miles Kreuger had started preparing a complete Jolson for Columbia, and
that finally came out (incomplete) for Arlington's Nostalgia Book Club.
But Miles got a complete set of Jolson vinyl test pressings out of it.

By the way, I have long said that The Original Sound of the Twenties was
the album that changed my life.  It legitimized what I was interested
in, especially because of the extended essay in the booklet.   All the
other reissues were either big band or were out-of-print like the things
on X and The Old Curiosity Shop.  I never saw those until later.  This
was the first time it was legit for me to like non-swing or non-opera
78s.  Rich Markow also tells the same story.  Rich was working for Rose
Records/Sounds Good Records when Orig Sound was deleted.  He called me
up and asked how many sets I wanted to order.  Three.  So I have five
copies including one with the original cream colored box with the purple
printing on the spine.  I keep forgetting to bring one to Leah.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com