[78-L] Patrick McGoohan^

soundthink at aol.com soundthink at aol.com
Thu Jan 15 13:25:52 PST 2009

Rumors amongst "Prisoner" addicts is that No. 6 WAS John Drake after quitting being a spy. McGoohan quit "Danger Man" much in the same way No. 6 quit his fictitious government job, just walking out after the second color episode was filmed. He went to Lew Grade with the premise for "The Prisoner" and immediately got a budget to produce it.

Grainer's theme song and various cues used in the show were issued on an LP some years ago (which I thankfully was able to obtain - not so easy now!) and is also on CD. AMC is planning a remake of the show, updated for contemporary issues, so it might be just as well that McGoohan will not be around to see it. These remakes of classic TV shows are never much good, although the excellent Ian McKellen is slated to be the antagonist. Jim Caviezel will be playing No. 6.

Cary Ginell