[78-L] Trivia question [FWD]

Mike Harkin harkinmike at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 00:06:11 PST 2009

An online etymological dictionary gives the following information:-

trivial
1432, "of the trivium," from M.L. trivialis, from trivium "first three of the seven liberal arts," from L., lit. "place where three roads meet," from tri- "three" + via "road." The basic notion is of "that which may be found anywhere, commonplace, vulgar." The meaning "ordinary" (1589) and "insignificant" (1593) were in L. trivialis "commonplace, vulgar," originally "of or belonging to the crossroads." The verb trivialize is attested from 1846.
trivium
1804, from M.L., "grammar, rhetoric, and logic," first three of the seven liberal arts in the Middle Ages, considered less important than arithmetic, geometry, astronomy, and music. From L. trivium "place where three roads meet" (see trivial).

FWIW.

Mike in Plovdiv