[78-L] Fw: From plant to retail: how did they ship discs?

Stephen Davies SDavies at mtroyal.ca
Tue Jan 6 12:12:20 PST 2009

Every now and then my posts don't go thru to 78-L.  Does this happen to
anyone else?
----- Forwarded by Stephen Davies/Academic/MRC on 2009-01-06 13:11 -----

Stephen Davies/Academic/MRC
2008-12-19 09:00

78-l at klickitat.78online.com
cc

Subject
>From plant to retail: how did they ship discs?

        Okay, so there's a limited number of manufacturing plants for the
discs in the good old days.  How did they pack and ship discs to the
stores, whether in bulk or as singles?
        I assume someone (at the plant or at a distribution house) created
a variety pack of new releases and sent them on spec. to all the regular
customers.  But there would be special orders to be dealed with, too.  So
they would have developed an efficient way to pack discs in lots and as
singles.  Some were even mailed, weren't they?  (Which is why the lyrics
had to be kept clean to avoid postal censure.)
        Also, unsolds were returned to the plant for meltdown, were they
not?

        Did they use the same techniques we use now?  A box padded within
a box for large orders, and thick cardboard for singles?
        I worked in a library in the dieing days of 16 mm films, and there
were special reusable cases for shipping the reels that made life a lot
easier.  Was there such a thing for discs too?

Stephen D
Calgary

whose parents immigrated 50 years ago with all their valuables packed in
sand in barrels to prevent damage.  Nothing broke, but it weighed a ton!
This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to which it is addressed, and may
contain confidential, personal, and or privileged information. Please contact the sender
immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy,
distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or subsequent
reply, should be deleted or destroyed.