[78-L] Trivia question

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Jan 9 20:15:04 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Lichtman" <jeff at swazoo.com>
>>Seems to me this is, more accurately, a question about either a single
>>"trivium" or "trivius"...! Or do "name and location," being two DISTINCT
>>facts, count as "triviA?" Or...is one a "trivia," making the two
>>"triviae?!"
>>...stevenc
> The word "trivia" in English comes from the same word in Latin
> meaning "three roads." Trivialities are the sorts of things people
> talk about when they meet at a street intersection. "Trivia" in
> English is a collective noun - it has no singular form. The closest
> we can come is "piece of trivia."

Well, back in my younger days, the words "piece of" were more
commonly followed by a term (inaccurate, if explored...?!) which
referred to a bout of s*xual congress...usually imagined...?!

So, we need a Latin term referring to one single instance
of "trivia"...as well as another vital question answered...!

Since "trivia" refers to the Latin term for three...WHAT do
we use when there are only TWO items?! "Bivia?!"

O-blivia (quoth Firesign...?!)

...stevenc