[78-L] end of 525-line television ^

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Jan 9 19:26:05 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Royal Pemberton" <ampex354 at gmail.com>
> Peoria, Illinois is another city stuck in an all-UHF ghetto AFAIK.

As far as I remember, Peoria (I grew 40 miles from there, and we
watched most Peoria stations...!) was, indeed, all-UHF...as was
almost all of central Illinois!

The story was/is...around 1950-51, the FCC declared a "freeze"
on assigning new TV channels...because they had already given
out all the twelve VHF channels within distances that might cause
inter-station interference. Around late 1953, the FCC started to
pass out UHF (14-83...later 14-70, after 71 to 83 were given
to cell phones...which means that if you have a channel 83, you
can eavesdrop on cell-phone traffic!!)...so that cities like Peoria
could get TV channels (and us folks in Waynesville could waste
our time watching TV...net LOSS!!).

Sorry, fo'kses...Having lived through the introduction of TV,
followed by its eventual (and inevitable...?!) ubiquity...I blame
television for the drastic deterioration in the life of us humans...!!

FEH!!

...stevenc