[78-L] end of 525-line television ^

Mwcpc2 at aol.com Mwcpc2 at aol.com
Fri Jan 9 07:23:16 PST 2009

Everything will change when they convert. From discussions  with engineers at
a local SMPTE meeting, most digital channels are in the  UHF bands now,
operating on relatively low power. After the VHF analog channels  are vacated, many
digital channels will switch to higher power on VHF channels.  Others will
increase their power but on different frequencies, as "commercial"
communications take over the part of the UHF spectrum to be auctioned  off.

30 miles south of Rochester NY I get more than 24 analog channels from  three
cities. However most are of marginal signal strength and there is severe
multipath on VHF from Rochester. I can foresee completely redoing the  $300
antenna, rotor, amplifier and tower setup I installed 30 years ago to get  even
those signals at levels needed for reliable digital reception. Or paying
$100/month for the cable feed from 60 miles away that didn't really work the  three
times I tried it. Or just forget about TV altogether!

In any case, I intend to wait until the dust settles before spending any
money on TV for now.

Mike Csontos

In a message dated 1/8/2009 11:23:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,