[78-L] "Spider Web reverse side [[FWD]

Mike Harkin harkinmike at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 9 01:02:45 PST 2009

--- On Thu, 1/8/09, David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Subject: Re: [78-L] "Spider Web reverse side [[FWD}
> To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
> Date: Thursday, January 8, 2009, 6:54 AM
> Mike Harkin wrote:
> > Randy Watts wrote:
> > Is that why some classical sets throw in a
> "bonus" piece rather than have
> > an odd number of sides and the last disc in the set
> single-sided?
> >
> > WERM has numerous examples of Victor sets with an odd
> number of sides, with note, "Reissued 1946 with fill-up
> "____________"
> >
> > Mike in Plovdiv
> >
> Didn't the manual versions stay as they were, with
> blank last sides?

No idea!  Its' been 20 years since I had actual records, and I don't remember, except that I always tried to get the earlier pressings.
> One of the oddest fill-up situations occurred with the
> Columbia set of Holst
> conducting The Planets. All movements except Mercury are
> two-sided, so the
> filler (Marching Song) was placed on the back of Mercury
> (Side 5). I don't know
> if this was ever issued in auto sequence.

Quite possible, as it was renumbered in about 1939, so it may very well
have been.  I had only Vivatonals of M83, I think it was - manual - and
the individual English discs, and unless my memory is worse than I think,
both US and UK of the acoustic set.  Ah, those were the days!  Wouldn't have touched the late runumbered version, nor the big Wagner sets that were done at the same time!

Mike in Plovdiv