[78-L] end of 525-line television ^

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jan 8 20:22:46 PST 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [78-L] end of 525-line television ^
From: "Ron L" <lherault at bu.edu>
Date: Thu, January 08, 2009 9:29 am
To: "'78-L Mail List'" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>

The other two words are Roof Antenna. I have an old rotating antenna
mounted on my chimney and can get 12-15 stations. Of course it helps
that
I am located between Boston and Providence.

Ron L

Have you gotten a converter box or a digital TV with tuner and CHECKED
that antenna???  The directional aiming will have to be more accurate
for digital because there is no such thing as fringe reception.  You
either got it or the signal disappears.  This is going to be a major
problem when there are no analogue signals to fall back on.  The sets
now do an auto search of first the analog and then the digital signals,
and then move the order of the digital signals to match their original
analogue.  Down here in Birmingham I got 16 analogue but only 6 digital.
 In Brooklyn I was able to get one digital that I didn't get on analog.
The manual search on my set only searches for analog signals.  I don't
know what will happen when there are no analog signals for the set to
work with.  ANd even if you could do a digital search, nobody knows what
the channel the digital signals are on.  I assume there is an allocation
chart but I haven't found it yet.  In Lexington, KY one of the stations
is petitioning to get their digital signal moved off of VHF into UHF.
Lexington was the only sizable market that was ONLY UHF.  Therefore,
nobody had VHF antennas in that market unless they were far enough away
to try for Cincinnati or Louisville V's  I think they put 36's digital
on 13, and nobody in the city is getting it on their old antennas.

If you have any questions on how it will work, you need to check it NOW
while there are still analog signals to compare with.  If you do not
already have have a confirmed reservation for a coupon you might be out
of luck for the discount -- they ran out of money for new reservations
last Sunday.  And if you have a coupon and haven't used it, use it NOW.
They might cancel them faster than the allowed 90 days.

If you live outside the U.S., you are lucky in more ways than one,
although MAYBE our luck will change starting in about ten days.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com