[78-L] MATILDA

yves francois aprestitine at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 8 10:39:40 PST 2009

Cary et sll
I was wondering of the song "Matilda" itself, I know of the Andrew Sisters and Louis Jordan (including one with Ella) doing Calypsos, or, even earlier, people like Jack Sneed (using Billy Kyle, Charlie Shavers, Joe Guy et all), or Sam Manning recording a jazzy semi calypso jazz music in the 30's and earlier. Thanks, I guess I should have stated that Paul Bascomb's quote was the first non calypso artist to record "Matilda", still wonder if he was indeed the first non Calypso artist to record "Matilda".
all the best and a very happy new year(and I really like the song Rum and Coca Cola, there is, even to this day, music from Trinidad speaking about the virtues of drinking rum, even in 2009, check youtube and be amused)
Yves