[78-L] MATILDA

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 7 14:47:26 PST 2009

A couple of things to remember here regarding the first "Matilda"..one, RCA
hadn't had any luck with Belafonte in over a year of recording him with small
groups and the big Hugo Winterhalter orchestra, so "making it authentic" wasn't
going to first in their minds, "selling a record f'cryin' out loud" was more
important...and The Weavers had done very nicely with backing from Gordon
Jenkins and even Larry Clinton. Two..it was the B side. Two years later,
Belafonte had been in a hit Broadway show and had filmed "Carmen Jones" and
might have had a little more clout in recording the song to his preferences
(and with Bud Shank, Maynard Ferguson, Jim Hall, Ted Nash, Jimmy Giuffre and Si
Zentner among the motley crew of underpaid musicians).

dl